Saturday, January 9, 2010

January 3, 2010

Have you ever seen 11 puppies in one place before? They’re so darn cute, it makes me feel like Santa visited all over again! They look like chocolate labs, with pushed in faces. The only resemblance to the mom is that they’re the color of her head and the big spot on her back. They are all little tanks, solid wiggly, crying bundles.


The mother is absolutely incredible. She’s endured lots of people handling her today, not to mention her puppies. But she was pretty happy to retreat to her bed where the puppies couldn’t reach her. And when I took her into the backyard, her nose went high into the air to catch whatever was on the wind. I can only imagine her story, but I don’t want to think about it. She wasn’t really keen on nursing her pups, so I hand fed her while she stood. They were on their tiptoes, leaning on their siblings sucking away. Now, she’s curled up around them and they are in milky heaven.

Yes, there’s poop and pee and puppy feet trailing their gruel everywhere. But it’s pretty cool.

We’ll take this week to settle in and then I’ll call for visitors! I want to get sort of a feeding/cleanup routine established. But it’ll probably be like raising a baby – just when you think you have it mastered, everything changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment